Welcome!

I have been conquered by books. They have taken over my thoughts and everyday life. Hopefully, I'm not the only one this has happened to.

Monday, September 13, 2010

Being Jamie Baker

Being Jamie Baker... There really isn't much else I can say.
I met Kelly Oram through National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). A group of us in the same area decided to get together and do a write-in at a local cafe. Kelly joined us, and while we didn't get much writing done, we did do a lot of talking. And in the process, Kelly was telling us how she was publishing her first ever novel.

Now, as we were doing National NOVEL Writing Month, the rest of us thought that was pretty awesome. I kept in touch with Kelly after NaNoWriMo ended, and every once in a while I would ask when the novel was coming out.

August of 2010 was the answer. I ordered this book on Amazon as soon as I could, and I couldn't wait to read it. Could not wait. I mean it. The package came to my door at 5pm one Tuesday night, and while I held off to finish my homework, I read until my eyes would no longer stay open. And at that point I was really sad, because I had to put the book down.

The following day at school, the book was with me the entire day. And it was tempting me, practically begging me to read it. So when I got home, I sat down, and I finished the book.

Being Jamie Baker is the story of a seventeen-year-old girl who, after a tragic accident, is left with incredible superpowers. Now, not only does she have to deal with normal high school girl stuff (popular girls, cute boys, and sometimes embarrassing parents), she has to find some way to keep her powers hidden. Unfortunately, she is faced with challenges that make hiding her powers harder than ever while she tries to keep the lovable Ryan Miller at bay.

I adored, adored, adored this book. There is no better description of how I felt. I simply adored it. It was wonderfully paced. There was a good, original plot. No yucky love triangles like many Young Adult novels these days. Brilliantly written. Spectacular character development. And to top it all off, good climax and lovely happy ending.

I have two words for you, girls: Ryan. Miller. All of the girls I know who have read this book want their own Ryan Miller. I want my own Ryan Miller. Read the book, and you'll understand why.

No comments:

Post a Comment